John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Had an issue with a Kenmore Elite HE3 gas dryer where

Customer Question

Had an issue with a Kenmore Elite HE3 gas dryer where igniter would glow, gas would light, but then go out after about 15 seconds. I pulled the dryer apart and checked the thermal fuse, flame sensor, igniter and coils for continuity and all checked OK. However, I decided to change out the coils. When I put in the new coils, now it doesn't even ignite. Putting old coils back in gets me back to where I was - ignites and flame lights, but goes out in about 15 seconds. Can't find where swapping out the coils would lead to the igniter now not working, but hopeful that may provide some direction on what I should check next. Thanks in advance - John
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: about 13 years and it is 110.92822101
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I do
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's the info I have that I think would be useful
Category: Appliance
Expert:  ApplianceTech replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight in trying to find out why your appliance is not working. Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided.
Thanks

The coils do work in series with the igniter coil and if you replaced the coils and had a different problem, and putting the old coils back in brought it back. You have a bad set of "new" coils. Buy a new set and see what happens. If you get a symptom of the igniter coming on and then just fading out before a flame is established, that would be a definite indicator that the coils are bad.

Try that out and let me know how it goes.

Don

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK - thank you

Also, just something else to check is the infra-red sensor on the side of the burner tube. If you have a meter, check for continuity between the 2 terminals with the machine shut off. If you get an open reading, the sensor is bad.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
flame sensor - correct? I checked that, or is this something different?

Same thing, I call it the IR sensor because it act off the heat of the flame.

I have to go offline for about an hour. I will reply back when I log back on if you come back.

Thanks

Don

Did you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I replaced the "new" solenoids with another new pair. Igniter works, gas flows and stays on for high heat setting. Igniter glows, gas flows but shuts off for medium and low heat setting. That is different than with the original solenoids - it would ignite, gas flow but then shut down at all settings. Does that change help with the troubleshooting?

Ok, sounds like we got the normal heat working and it looks like it will dry ok?

What is the time from the flame getting established to the time it shuts off on the two setting that are giving you the problem? Try timing with vent pipe on and the vent pipe off.