Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

My microwave is not heating. It was working fine and it just

Customer Question

My microwave is not heating. It was working fine and it just stopped heating
JA: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a LG. I don't know the model but it is less than 3 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No if it's something major
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Everything else is working fine
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

Anytime a microwave runs but does not heat means that the magnetron ( Its purpose is to generate microwave energy. The high-voltage components accomplish this by stepping up AC line voltage to high voltage, which is then changed to an even higher DC voltage. This DC power is then converted to the RF energy that cooks the food.)

has failed and will have to be replaced. This is a dangerous repair because microwaves hold high voltage even when power is not being supplied to the unit, so it is highly recommended that only a qualified technician make this repair. The magnetron and also the diode that will need to be replaced usually run in the range of 140.00 -300.00 just in parts depending on the model. If you would like me to find you the part numbers I would be glad to if you give me the model number of the unit.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today, I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.