Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Maytag Refrig compressor won't start. i replaced the4

Customer Question

My Maytag Refrig compressor won't start. i replaced the4 starting relay and capacitor. nothing. any ideas?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: about 8 years , msd2572veb01
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: yes, i9 replaced the same parts about 4 months ago. Did not help. after a few minutes i tried again and it started up. it has worked perfectly for 4 months. this time the new parts did not help. When it is plugged in, i get a loud buzzing sound for a few seconds then the buzzing stops for a mi9nute and repeats. Like it is trying to start.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

So unfortunately your compressor is definitely overloading if you're getting a loud buzzing sound for a few seconds and repeating every couple of minutes. You've already replaced the overload starting relay (the capacitor wouldn't cause this issue) which means that your compressor itself is just going bad. The problem is that the piston inside can get jammed or pull too much friction causing the compressor to overload. You'll need to order and replace the compressor to resolve this issue because you can't repair the compressor itself. The cost to have it replaced is usually about $650 and not something you can replace yourself I'ms sorry to say.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.