Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Trying to see if I can fix my parents old GE ice maker...

Customer Question

trying to see if I can fix my parents old GE ice maker... it's some version of the TFX25JR.... sticker inside shows about 5 different model numbers..
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: probably 16 years or more.. and I put in the model number... or one of them that shows on the sticker.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: seems to be similar to this problem on your site: http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/26156-ge-tfx25jr-refrigerator-ice-maker-sporadic.html
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

What seems to be the issue exactly?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It does not make ice. The water dispenser works fine, but no ice for quite some time. years.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

OK perfect. Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the freezer is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees. Next, fill up the icemaker with a cup of water and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube behind the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. You can also make sure it's not frozen by disconnect the water line coming from the icemaker and going to the valve at the valve. Blow through the water line to make sure it's clear. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.