Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My front load washer has a OU on the face and will not

Customer Question

My front load washer has a OU on the face and will not complete a cycle, it's has water left in it what's I've done so far is clean the filter which also drain the water, when I tried to wash it started out ok, but once it get to draining the water it stops and gives me the OU
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Make: LG model: wm2496hsm, actually the code given is OE not OU
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Well if I can
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 15 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 15 days ago.

OE means that the washer isn't draining properly. If you remove the access panel in the lower front corner, you can see a plastic drain catch behind this cover. You need to unplug the washer and get ready for all the water in the tub to come out the drain catch when you unscrew it (get lots of towels or a wet vac). Remove the drain catch and if you find debris inside, then remove it and you should be good to go again. If you don't find debris inside, then you'll need to remove the drain pump and check for a blockage inside the drain pump itself.

To access the drain pump, you need to pull the washer forward and unplug it. Pull the dispenser drawer completely off the washer. Next, remove the 2 bolts coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will pull straight back, up, and off. Remove the screws coming in through the dispenser opening and the screws coming from the inside of the washer going into the control panel. The control panel will then pull up and out of the way. At this point, you just have a few screws going across the top of the front panel to remove. Open the door and you need to disconnect the rubber door gasket. There is a wire ring around the front lip of the rubber door gasket. Use a flat head screwdriver and pry the wire ring off the gasket. Now you can remove the front panel to access the drain pump located under the drum attached to the drain catch.

Now if the drain pump has debris in it, remove it and you should be good to go again. If not, then the drain pump itself will need to be ordered and replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Actually the code I'm getting is OE. What does that mean?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 15 days ago.

Yes, I know the code is OE.... I said that in my first sentence. It means exactly what I wrote before---the washer isn't draining properly.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thx
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 15 days ago.

No problem, if you need anything else let me know.