Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My ge oven 183d5580p196 oven light is flashing locked, and I

Customer Question

my ge oven 183d5580p196 oven light is flashing locked, and I can't shut it off by pressing clear. I accidentally hit something while trying to turn it on in the dark The oven cleaning cycle never went on, the door will open but I can't clear the screen and I can't turn the oven on. The light symbol keeps flashing
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I'm looking at the manual. The oven is around 12 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I need to do work? I'm a single mother, can't it be shut off by hitting a button?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Yes, how to fix the above problem
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

If the display is flashing locked, it means that the latch is stuck somewhere between the open and closed position. Try to flip the breaker off to the oven for 5 minutes or unplug the oven to see if the electronics will reset. If the locked light keeps flashing, wiggle the latch hook then push in on the door to make sure the latch hook doesn't rub on the door. If it won't stop flashing, then unfortunately the door latch needs to be replaced because something was pushed to engage the lock but the lock motor isn't working properly so now the issue won't reset.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.