Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirpool duet wash Model FHW9100LW2, purchased in

Customer Question

I have a whirpool duet wash Model FHW9100LW2, purchased in 3/2004. It recently started making a noise in the spin cycle, my husband took it apart and determined it is the tub bearing that needs replacing. I called the whirlpool line and was led to the website, and learned that the bearing isn't available separately only as part of the outer tub. The outer tub assembly was no longer available. A local repair service told us to fix it, the cost would be about $600, just looking for another education opinion before deciding whether to continue to pursue a repair or just junk it. It has been a good one!
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It was purchased from Lowe's on March 27, 2004, the model is GHW9100LW Sorry - Whirpool Duet Front-Loader
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: He could if he had the bearing, but also willing to hire a service but have not had any luck finding one that doesn't want between $50 - $100 to look at it before quoting a repair.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think that is everything.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately everything you have been told is correct. It's an incredibly expensive repair because it comes with the entire rear outer tub. You can't replace the bearing separately and $600 is a very fair price for this repair. That being said, as a technician I don't find very many people that want to repair their washer when this issue occurs if it happens out of warranty so I don't blame them and it's not something I recommend on a 12 year old washer. I would recommend putting that money toward a new washer.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.