Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My refrig/freezer has started making a loud popping or bang

Customer Question

my refrig/freezer has started making a loud popping or bang when motor shuts off. What to do?
JA: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?
Customer: settings kept at normal 4 model#MTB1954
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: what needs to be done
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no.do we need to have service to check out motor
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

That banging noise means that the piston pin inside the compressor has broken and the piston is banging around inside the outer shell of the compressor. The compressor is sealed so it's not something you can fix easily I'm afraid. I've seen compressors last years in this condition and the only problem is the noise annoyance. Eventually the piston will jam and stop working, but again it can still last you 5-10 years with nothing more than a noise annoyance. The only way to fix the problem is to replace the entire compressor which is about $650. I'm very sorry about the bad news.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.