FixAll
FixAll, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I currently work for one of the largest appliance repair services in the country. I service laundry and kitchen
68072958

I have a GE refrigerator with water/ice/crushed ice in the

I have a GE refrigerator with water/ice/crushed ice in the door. The connector between the door wiring harness and the fridge was failing. so I hard wired the connections (don't plan to remove the door). Now the water is giving crushed ice, crushed ice gives ice and I can't get water. I confirmed that all the wire colors match. what's up with the wiring on this fridge?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: model GSL25JFPA, about 10 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I can think of

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your GE refrigerator. Please give me a moment to review your model. Also, who am I speaking with?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Adam

Hi Adam. Can you tell me what you hear when you press the water lever?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
ice crushing
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
this is a pic of the connections I made since the plug in connectors kept cutting out
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
with water selected I get crushed ice, crushed ice gives me regular ice and ice gives me nothing

I saw that. It looks like you have the colors matched up. Can you verify whether the connector you removed matched the color wires when it was connected?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I cannot confirm that, just assumed matching like colors was right.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Do you have access to a wiring diagram that would suggest what's going on?

One moment. Let me check. This may take a few minutes.

I do not have one. Do you have the old connector piece you removed?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
it doesn't have any colors on it and I can't reconnect it

I know you won't be able to reconnect it but it should have remnants of the wire insulation colors.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I pulled them out, not cut them off. sorry
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I tried the easy stuff before contacting you

I see. I think you will be ok swaping some of them because they are all at logic level. You can try disconnecting 2 of them, swaping them, and seeing the result. That is what I would do.

Check the voltages at the wires with respect to ground and make sure they are all the same - approximately, and if they are, just swap them until you get it right.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
any guesses which ones? 5x5 is a lot and the bigger problem is the wires are short and I can't remove the connectors without cutting
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I think red is power, not sure about the rest
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
trial and error is the best solution?

Checking the voltages will ensure that you are not mixing different voltages. The red is likely power and the black is likely ground. Swaping the other two after checking the voltages should be fine. You can splice wire in to make them longer. Trial and error may be all we have without a diagram. If you want, I will opt out and see if another expert has more information.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
please, I was really hoping for a diagram.

Ok, no problem.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
sounds good

Wiring diagram is attached.

Let me know if you need more info, please.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
any idea why matching the colors of the door controls doesn't work?

It should work, they do not change between the door control and the main board. Any of the wires short or get damaged?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
not that I noticed. any idea what would cause the behavior I'm getting?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
is there any reason to think mixing up the colors will improve the situation? water switch is giving crushed ice, crushed ice is giving ice, ice is giving nothing

Likely a break in the wire or other issue farther up in the door when you cant see. Did it break at the hinge?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
all worked find except the plug in connector was flaky. I thought hard wiring would fix it
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
now I can't get water. major bummer.

Let me get you the pin outs for the main board and we can see what is happening. Can you access the board at the back, please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
behind the fridge? that will take some work

I will get you the info and you can work on it as you are able.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
help me understand the plan before I pull the whole thing apart - will the pins tell me if there's a broken wire or short?

It will allow you to see what is happening at the board, so we can determine if, when you select water, it is not getting the correct signal or if the board is failing.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
ok. I can't pull it apart tonight. send me as much info as possible and I'll check it out later.

I will see if another may have that information.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Double checking it, I'm afraid I may have shorted the circuit somewhere. I'm actually getting crushed ice from water & crushed ice buttons and nothing from the ice button. How much should I expect to replace the parts if that's the case?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I haven't seen a follow-up yet, but my main question at this point is what's the next step? If the red wire touched black and/or tan with the power on, do I need a new main circuit board or something else?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It's been 4 days, can I still get a response to next steps if the wires shorted? New main board or something else?

Hi i'm new to your question , what was the fridge doing prior to the wiring job you did was it working normal or having trouble?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Before I tried to 'fix' it, the connector above the door would disconnect. Fiddling with it helped, but not permanently. When it connected everything worked fine. Since I don't intend to remove the doors, I decided that removing the connector and hard wire the connections. I think I accidentally let the red wire from the inside touch either the red or brown wires. Once I connected everything, I get the current condition: crushed ice from water and crushed ice selections, nothing from ice selection.If I caused a short, is the next step to replace the main circuit board, or is there some other troubleshooting to try first?

When it disconnected previously it stopped working all together?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
that is correct. Lights on the door switches went out and none would do anything.

Hmm sounds like your dispenser board has failed possibly

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
If the short occurred on the wires from the fridge, why would you suspect the dispenser board instead?

Actually i'm sorry i'm just looking up this specific model how old is it? is the selector like a manual slide or push button on the door

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
push button, about 12 years old

let me double check

do you have a meter?

dispenser board is connected to those wires

everything i'm seeing indicating a dispenser board possibly main board but unlikely

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I do but need specific guidance on what to check

If you have a small flat head screw driver you can remove the dispenser board it has holes on the underneath side you put pressure with the screwdriver into the hole and pull out on bottom of board and it should swing out.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
where on the fridge do you mean? the dispenser on the outside or is the board in the back? Where do I access it?

Right where you push the buttons that whole panel removes no screws

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Should I pull it apart now? is there something to test or is that how I'd put in a new board?

You can test from there.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
let me get my meter and pull it apart
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Got the frame off, how does the rest come out?

I don't think its the frame you want off the dispenser display part itself comes off by itself

there is little holes on the bottom side of the button assembly

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Got it. Now what?

ok should be a solid red wire feeding it , should read 12-13 volts dc to the black wire

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Can only check from the board junctions coming out the back but getting about 18

volts?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.

you have it set to dc?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
on the 20 scale DCV

that seems a little high but shouldn't matter

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Should I try to remove the connector and go into it directly?

you can it just pulls loose

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
18.76

are there 5 wires you connected or 3?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
5.

at the top?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.

colors are matched 100% or some are different?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
All matched

ok I would say one of the boards is bad but hard to tell which you can buy the parts from repair clinic they allow returns even if installed and install them 1 at a time but its either the main board or the dispenser board that your looking at.

then just return the one that isn't bad

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Ok. I think it's more likely main because the wires from inside touched while not connected. Does that make sense?

yes the main is very common in general usually wold have to touched a prolonged time to damage though but still I would start with main

but the main board fails for various reasons quite often its been updated to a newer version

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I've looked at them online. Deciding if it's worth $120 for a board on a 12 year old fridge. Thoughts?

120 isn't bad but there is a lot to go bad on that fridge

ultimately I cant tell you but that fridge did have a few problem parts could possibly start nickel and diming you

If you don't need any further assistance please do not forget to rate my service its the only way we get paid and I will be here for further questions if needed on this topic.

FixAll, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I currently work for one of the largest appliance repair services in the country. I service laundry and kitchen