Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Discover iQ Double Wall Oven. It's a couple years

Customer Question

I have a Discover iQ Double Wall Oven. It's a couple years old. Last night I attempted to do a "Green" sell clean. Followed the instructions, hit start and I started to hear this rattling from the door. The screen says the door is not locked, but it's partially latched. It moves about an 1/8th inch but does not open. The self clean cycle does not start because of the door. I hit the cancel button, the screen shuts off but the rattling continues.I turned the power off over night and when I turn it on again, everything boots up as it should but the rattle returns and I still cannot open the door [it wouldn't open when the power was off either]. Everything on the control panel works as it should, but the door rattles and does not open. I assume there is a solenoid that activates the latch and It appears the rattle is coming from the latch area [most likely where the solenoid is. Any ideas?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?
Customer: Dacor Discover iQ Double Wall Oven, and no it hasn't done this before.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: with your help
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Ok so it sounds like your door latch may have failed. Try turning the breaker off to the unit for 60 seconds to see if it will reset. When you turn the circuit breaker on go inside and push on the door and hold it for a minute or two in case it's rubbing on the door latch not letting it release. If that doesn't work, then try to set the self clean, wait 60 seconds and cancel it to see if that will reset the door latch assembly. If nothing resets the door lock, then you just need to manually open the door and replace the door latch assembly. It's not easy to manually unlock the door. You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top. Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can remove the panel in front of the door latch and replace the latch assembly.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?