Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Magic Chef Microwave Model# DJ13203401 has an intermittent

Customer Question

Magic Chef Microwave Model# ***** has an intermittent heating up problem. It heats up but not to 1200 Watts; sometimes not at all. Can you help?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Magic Chef is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 8-9 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, I'm an retired Electrical Designer and have fixed many an appliance at home.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No I think that pretty much covers the prblem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

I suspect the magnetron may be faulty. Have you measured the current draw when the microwave is running to see what happens when it drops out?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't even know what the output voltage should be on the magnetron the draw.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

At full power, it should draw about 12-13 amps. Do you have a meter to measure the current draw?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Without knowing what that measurement is, I would recommend replacing the magnetron. Would you like a link to that part?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I thought it would just be a simple fix; like a limit switch or a diode
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Not intermittent heat, it is a high voltage issue, likely a magnetron.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No it's cheaper to buy a new Microwave than buying a Magnetron. Thanks for your help. Sonny
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

I understand, thank you.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Kelly knew the problem and told me what I needed to know, quick and easy to make my decision. Good information.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** the stars at the top of the page to rate, I appreciate it very much, thank you!