Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

GE JB640SR7 oven. I have power to the ERC 240 across red and

Customer Question

GE JB640SR7 oven. I have power to the ERC 240 across red and black 110 across red to white and black to white. New ERC. ERC gives me no display and no functionality where else could the problem be? Stove works fine. Burner on indicator lights up and hot stovetop lights up unless erc is connected then I get no indicator lights but burners still work
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I would guess 3 to six years and the model is J B640S R7SS
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes I have already placed the ERC now I would like to find the problem and finish this off.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to look over the wiring for your model.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ok Thank youKevin
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

Kevin, looking at the schematic (attached), it has to be a faulty oven control if you have the voltages you posted. So, the oven control will need to be replaced.

The link below is to the part you will need.

CLICK HERE

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
KellyThat is the part I just replaced. It gives me no display as well.
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

Is the black wire on the L1 relay and red on the L2 DLB relay as shown in the schematic?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I just double checked they are hard to mess up because they are color coded on the back of the relays. The interesting part is there is a burner on light and a hot cooktop light. When the oven control unit is connected these lights do not function. However when it is disconnected they work. The burners work no matter what. Not sure if that helps.
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

Have you measured the voltage at the outlet to see if you see the same voltages?

Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

With the range unplugged....

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I get the same voltage at the outlet. I also checked the burners and get the same reading there.
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

Do the burners all work fine when the oven control is disconnected?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
with the range unplugged
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
they all work with unconnected. They also work with the oven control connected it is just the cooktop and burner lights that quit working with the oven control connected.
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

Something has to be mis-wired if you have no display on the clock.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I don't know how that is possible i took pictures on before i took it out and it is color coded and i put it back the exact same way.
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

What was the original issue the control was replaced for?

Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

You as well, thank you! Let me know how it goes!

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No display or control over the oven. In other words I am getting the same result with the new unit that the old one had.
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

So there has to be an issue with either the wiring or the control. What happens if you disconnect the red wire from the clock? Will the display come on?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
let me check
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No there is no change
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

Well, everything you have shown as far as voltages is correct. If you are certain the wiring is all correct, I am not sure what you have going on. I will see if another may have some input.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you I am completely confused on this one. It should have been an easy fix.