Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE gts22wcp refrigerator, the ice maker stop

Customer Question

I have a GE gts22wcp refrigerator, the ice maker stop working and in the refrigerator area water seems to be condensing everywehere
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: the refrigerator model is "GTS22WCP" and is about 13 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I open the back and found dust in one unit with a an fan which seems to be working fine, I clean the dust
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

So let's start with the icemaker issue. GE icemakers are a bit different. Try turning the switch off. Wait 60 seconds and turn the switch back on. Push the white paddle in 3 times slowly within 15 seconds. Then wait 2 minutes. You should see the icemaker start to cycle. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube behind the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

The condensation usually means that the drain line inside the freezer is backing up but since your icemaker is working possibly it's just pouring down from the fill tube. You'd want to remove everything inside the freezer including the shelves and the icemaker so you can remove the back panel inside the freezer. Behind the back panel if the fill tube was leaking you'd see a block of ice cascading down the back in the upper left corner down to the drain trough below the silver coils. If you don't have the block of ice, then the drain trough below the silver coils has a small hole directly in the middle. If it's covered in ice, use a hair dryer and thaw all the ice out. Shoot hot water using a turkey baster down the drain hole to make sure it's clear all the way down and draining the water. If that all checks good then button it back up and you should be good to go again.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?