John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My dishwasher has developed a to of gooey black stuff inside

Customer Question

My dishwasher has developed a to of gooey black stuff inside it. What is it and what can I do?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?
Customer: Maytag, Model MD 877495BM2 and no I have not run a diagnostics.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have no idea what needs to be done. I am looking at my instructions that came with it and I do not see anything about diagnostic tests.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Only that I am worried about what this black gooey stuff is?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Appliance Technician will figure it out.
Customer: How do I find the appliance technician?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  ApplianceTech replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight in trying to find out why your appliance is not working. Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided.

The black goo as you describe is a combination of grease, detergent, and other dirt that does not dissolve in the water, usually because the supply water is not hot enough. Newer dishwashers have provisions to heat the water during the wash cycle, but I don"t think your machine has that feature. You need the water heater in your home to provide water at least 135 degrees, 140 is better.

My guess, is that is you take a paper towel and scrub along the backside on the bottom of the door, you will scrape up a handful of that stuff.

Your only option is to just clean it out. It is a relatively easy matter to remove the inside liner on your dishwasher by just removing the screws around the perimeter of the door and lifting the inner panel out of the machine. You will have to unplug the vent and detergent dispenser power plugs before pulling it out. Once you have it out, you can take a good degreaser and clean the bottom ridge and the bottom of the wash tub. Then just plug back in the wires you removed and reinstall the screws and you will be good to go.

Then just to give a good finish, buy a good dishwasher cleaner in the grocery store where you buy your detergent.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Don