Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My microwave won't work. It says H98. I am 82. I can't move

Customer Question

My microwave won't work. It says H98.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: I am 82. I can't move it to find the info. It is at least 10 years old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It began this morning. I tried to change power setting. Didn't work. I don't know what else to do.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

So H98 is probably the most common issue that Panasonic microwaves get. H98 can be caused from several things, but it all means the same thing–the magnetron is not drawing the amount of power needed. You could have a faulty magnetron itself, a faulty inverter board, or one of your door switches can just not be activating correctly. You can’t test the magnetron or the inverter board, so the best thing to do is check the door switches. Unplug the unit and remove the control panel. This will give you access to the door switches to the left of the control panel opening. There should be 3 switches which you can remove and make sure they don’t look burnt. Push on the little actuator buttons and see if the switches still click. If so then reinstall the switches and shut the door to make sure the door is activating all the switches when the door shuts. If so, then it’s time to guess which part you want to replace–either the magnetron or the inverter board. The manufacturer will tell you to replace the inverter board first, but it’s really a toss up.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
HOW DO YOU GET THE CONTROL PANEL OFF?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

It depends on the model number. If it's a counter top or built in model, you have to remove the entire outer shell by removing all the screws coming in from the sides and back first. Then the outer shell pulls back, up, and off. Then you can access the screws coming from the inside of the microwave holding the control panel on. You will need a T-20 torx bit SAFETY screwdriver to remove some of the screws.

If it's an over the range model, you unscrew the vent above the door and control panel, then remove the vent panel and that will expose a screw over the control panel you unscrew, then the control panel slides up and hinges forward and down.