Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

The interior lights work on the refrigerator and freezer but

Customer Question

The interior lights work on the refrigerator and freezer but nothing else works. I replaced the mother board
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: It's a GE Profile side by side probably 10 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Ice make controls, digital temp indicators everything is blank or not lit, compressor and fan don't run, only the interior lights work
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. When you say you replaced the mother board are you referring to the main control board located in the back?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

what is the model number of your unit? It should be located on the inside of the fridge door?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
PSS26LG/PSS26LS
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that is what I replaced. I could not see anything wrong with the original board but thought I would try a new one. It made no difference. The entire refrigerator/freezer appears dead except for the interior lights.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

since the lights are working its not the power source but honestly the only thing that makes sense is the main control board. Was the board you replaced it with new? I have seen even new board be defective but this is odd none the less. The only other thing that makes any sense would be the capacitor

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/WR62X79/0046/363.html

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I ordered a capacitor to see if that works. I will let you know the results. Shouldn't something work with one or the other main board even if it was bad? It acts exactly the same with both boards. Nothing at all.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

well typically when a board is bad nothing works except the lights. Which is what you are describing which really baffles me because a replacement board did not fix the issue. Lets see what happens with the capacitor and go from there. You may need to return the previous board and have them send you another one.