Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a NN SN 778S microwave that I absolutely love. It has

Customer Question

I have a NN SN 778S microwave that I absolutely love. It has had no problems, till the other morning when it just shuts off. All of the panel appears to be working. I can set the time, power level, etc, but when I hit start, it counts down about 2 seconds and shuts off. Any ideas?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: "The Genius" model # NN SN 778S, it was manufactured in 2012, so I guess I've had it about 4 years.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It just started doing this a few days ago, so we have discontinued using it. I have tried making sure any of the sensor cooking is cleared. I have looked for a reset button, can't find one. I've unplugged it and plugged it back in.....
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

This is probably the most common issue that Panasonic microwaves get. It can be caused from several things, but it all means the same thing–the magnetron is not drawing the amount of power needed. You could have a faulty magnetron itself, a faulty inverter board, or one of your door switches can just not be activating correctly. You can’t test the magnetron or the inverter board, so the best thing to do is check the door switches. Unplug the unit and remove the control panel. This will give you access to the door switches to the left of the control panel opening. There should be 3 switches which you can remove and make sure they don’t look burnt. Push on the little actuator buttons and see if the switches still click. If so then reinstall the switches and shut the door to make sure the door is activating all the switches when the door shuts. If so, then it’s time to guess which part you want to replace–either the magnetron or the inverter board. The manufacturer will tell you to replace the inverter board first, but it’s really a toss up.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?