Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My washer is spinning the water out but, not like it should.

Customer Question

My washer is spinning the water out but, not like it should. its not wet wet but not as dry as normal.
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Maytag Atlantis mod #MAV6200AWQ
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Ser# *****
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Yes It has just been used this last year before that it was stored for 10 years or so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

If the washer still drains, then the belt is still turning and the motor is running and turning in the correct direction. Unfortunately that means you have a very common problem with this washer and the friction gear inside the transmission is beginning to fail which stops the basket from spinning fast. Some light loads might still spin out, otherwise the basket will just spin slow as more weight is added. The only way to fix this issue is a new transmission which is about $350 to have replaced and really not worth repairing on this washer---but that is completely up to you of course.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?