John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My maytag centennial does not agitae agitate or spin. 5 or 6

Customer Question

my maytag centennial does not agitae agitate or spin.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 5 or 6 yrs old. centennial Type 588 10 MOD MVWC400XW3 SER C20730001
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Probably not. But I would love to have an idea of the problem, so I don't get ripped off.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I only do laundry for myself, my husband and son. Not a lot of wear and tear, but I really need to have my machine operational because of medical needs.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  ApplianceTech replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight in trying to find out why your appliance is not working. Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided.

I will give you some instructions on how to place your washer into the self diagnostics mode.

Hopefully, you will be able to activate the mode and see what is wrong with your washer.

Let me start over

Give me a minute

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off)

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “d” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob "counterclockwise" to clear sequence

Visualize the control dial as a clock and the dial as the knob on a combination lock like you had on your school locker

Here is the combination: L 12 R 1 -2- 3 L 2 R 3 Pause momentarily at each number

Here is the long description if you didn't understand the above sample.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one full rotation and stop at 12 o'clock

b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise three clicks (3 o'clock) and wait 1⁄2 second.each click

c. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click (2 O'clock) and wait 1⁄2 second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click (3 O'clock)

If you enter diagnostics correctly, all the LEDs will flash.

Now you are in diagnostics. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push START.

Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs along the progress line. Just note which lights appear and let me know and I can tell you what error you're getting. There will be 2 sets of lights that appear and I need both sets to know what error you're getting.

Did you get the directions OK?

Here is a video to also show you how to set the mode. click link watch video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kWrIPaWLUM