Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Samsung refrigerator is making a humming noise. It sounds

Customer Question

My Samsung refrigerator is making a humming noise. It sounds as though it is coming from the back.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Sorry. I had to dig out the manual. RF267AB Purchased in 2009.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can. If it is something very simple.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's all I know right now.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Is the noise coming from inside the refrigerator section or inside the freezer section?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is coming from the refrigerator.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It has stopped humming. There is nothing we need to do.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

OK that's what I figured.

This sounds like a very common issue with your refrigerator where your defrost drain line has either backed up and clogged, or possibly the evaporator isn't defrosting enough and the frost has built up enough causing the fan motor to stall and stop working. If you look at part number 97 in the diagram below, this is the part you need to remove so that you can see the silver evaporator and the drain trough below it. Pull all the drawers out and remove this panel. Now I want to say that removing this panel can be very difficult. You may need to use a hair dryer and thaw out the panel for 30 minutes or so because sometimes the ice will prevent it from pulling off. There are sometimes 2 screws at the bottom of this panel that you need to remove and then it's just clipped in all the way around so you must pry and pull. Once you have the panel off, pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Now of course if you don't find any frost or ice build up and the fan is just not running, you need to order and replace the evaporator fan motor because it's getting loud.

Now if you find that the evaporator is just over frosting and the drain isn't clogged, use a hair dryer and thaw all the frost out, then replace the defrost sensor clipped onto the top of the silver coils because it's not defrosting properly anymore.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
While Tyler and I were conversing, the humming went away. I will save Tyler's answer in case the gremlins return. Thanks.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

no problem. I'm glad it's working again! Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and if you need anything else just let me know.