Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Why do i have a large layer of ice on the bottom of the

Customer Question

Why do i have a large layer of ice on the bottom of the freezer of my 2559EVM9 refrigerator. How do I get rid f it? Prevent it?
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: About 3 years old MFF2558EVM9.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: YES
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: NOT THAT i CAN THINK OF
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

Unfortunately this is not an easy issue to fix on these bottom freezer top refrigerators. You will want to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all the ice to thaw out. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.

Now this drain hose has been re-designed because the material on the hose would break down and the check valve inside won't allow water to flow out so below is a link to the new re-designed hose you'll want to order and replace with instructions.

CLICK HERE for drain hose

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hey I live in a mobile home and they never told me about needing a drain. I have no place for a drain. I was not told that I needed to have a drain when they delivered and installed the unit. Now do I need to replace this thing? Also what does the humidity control switch do?.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

You don't need a drain. There is a drain pan below the refrigerator that is supposed to collect the defrost drain water. The pan is next to the compressor so the heat from the compressor causes the water to evaporator over time. This is how all automatic defrost refrigerators work. The issue is that your drain line which goes from the freezer to the drain pan through the floor is frozen so you'll need to thaw it out and replace the drain hose because it's been re-designed.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
nks. I guess at this point I'll just turn the freezer down to the lowest setting (1), let the ice block melt, clean up the mess, and pray I don't need to buy a new unit. Oh well. I guess it's the best I can do.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

Understood but without turning the unit off completely the freezer will never get warm enough to melt the ice. Also, the drain tube really should be replaced or the problem will just come back. There is a reason they re-designed it.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I appreciate you taking your time on New Years day to answe my question. So what do you charge for a service call?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

Not a problem. I'm personally out of Denver Colorado so I doubt I'm in your area, but to come out and complete this repair, it usually about $150 with trip, labor, and the new drain hose.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks. Drive carefully in the snow there
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

No problem and have a happy new year! Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and if you need anything else just let me know.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Happy New Year to you too. BTW with my settings above the ice block just popped right out. I don't see a drain hole in the bottom of the freezer and does this defrost water pan come out from the fron or the back of the RF?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

It actually comes from the back of the freezer section. The back panel inside the freezer would need to be removed to see the drain line in the freezer.

But if you're saying that there is water on the floor in the REFRIGERATOR and not freezer, then that can only come from the water reservoir behind the lower crisper drawers if it got too cold and cracked in which case the water reservoir would have to be replaced.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No. the ice was in the bottom of the FREEZER nearest the floor. Gone now. But in jic if I need to empty the defrost drain water from time to time do I have to pull the unit out, undo the back panel and then empty it? What about the Humidity switch?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

Yes, ok that is what I figured, that is the common issue with this model. If it's in the freezer then everything I said before is correct. The humidity switch has nothing to do with this problem there is nothing to worry about there.

You should never need to empty the defrost water. The drain pan isn't even designed to be pulled out.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks and Happy New year
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

No problem and you too!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?