Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

The unit is a combination microwave / oven. The power comes

Customer Question

The unit is a combination microwave / oven. The power comes on but the oven will not heat. Microwave works fine. Any suggestions
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: This is a wall unit cannot unplug, have tried turning breaker off and on again with no success.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Do you have a model number located on a sticker around the front frame of the oven and can be seen if you open the door or remove the drawer below the door if there is one so that I can better assist you?

Also, to be clear can you set the oven to 350 and it just won't heat even though you set it to cook? What if you set the oven to broil does it heat?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Model # 790..47840404, yes when i set to 350 it stay in preheat mode and will not come out.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

OK there is a thermal fuse on the back of the oven which sounds like it has failed if it won't heat in bake or broil and you can set it to 350 but it just doesn't heat. You'd have to pull the entire oven and microwave out to access this part which is the difficulty in repairing this problem I'm afraid. Once the entire oven and microwave are un-installed, you can remove the back sheet metal panel so that you can access the thermal fuse on the back of the oven which you can see on the link below.

CLICK HERE for thermal fuse

If you test continuity through the 2 outside terminals on the thermostat, you should have continuity through the fuse. If you don't, then replace the thermal fuse. If you do have continuity, then your control board is just bad and the control board would need to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm somewhat confused on the charges. Can't you answer my question without the addi charge.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks i didn't see it
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

I'm not sure what you mean about additional charge? There is no additional charge. Maybe you didn't see my answer so here is is again.

QUOTE:

CLICK HERE for thermal fuse