Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Microwave will not. Comes on and times down but food is not

Customer Question

microwave will not cook. Comes on and times down but food is not warm at end of cycle.
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: Happens with express, Happens with time and power level entered in and with a type of food selected. Everything else works, light fan, clock.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Powered it down for several minutes but not hours. Will try that. Any other suggestions if that does not work? My husband is handy and is willing to try if not too complex.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The microwave was purchaced in 2012. It cooked fine one minute, the next would even warm water.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Does the microwave still sound like it's running or is the microwave silent when counting down?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it sounds like it is running. and turntable works
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

OK perfect. If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $150 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and remove the outer shell in order to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $150 for trip and labor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.