Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

GE Profile dishwasher - front touchkey panel does not

Customer Question

GE Profile dishwasher - front touchkey panel does not respond to any button.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: model number PDW 7880 J01SS
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I hope to
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: open /close door Normal Wash light and Heated Dry light are on as well as "93" on time remaining display.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

First, try to press and hold the "Heated Dry" button for 5 seconds to see if the control panel will unlock in case the control panel is unlocked. If that doesn't work, flip the circuit breaker off to the dishwasher or unplug the dishwasher for 5 minutes to see if the electronics will reset. If none of that works, then your touch control panel has just failed so below is a link to the part you'd need to order and replace and unfortuantely it's about $300.

CLICK HERE for touch control panel

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Tyler,
I had already found the advice to turn off the power for 5 or more minutes to see if the system would reset. turned it off for 30 minutes and no recovery. At that point I came to the same conclusion you did a and removed the dishwasher. It's not worth it to me to spend $300 on a new control panel. Before I saw your response I tried to figure out how to contact your service to tell you not to bother to answer my question as I had already concluded the dishwasher had just concluded it's value to me. So, in truth your answer was too late to be of any use to me. I prefer not to pay but I'm willing to let it go at $5. I want to be sure you have not signed me up for a membership or any continuing charges.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

ok good luck to you. You are not on a membership.