Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I'm getting an error message when i try to use my samsung

Customer Question

hi pearl i'm getting an error message when i try to use my samsung microwave - "open and close door then press start"
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: it's brand new, just got it yesterday it's an MC17J8000CS
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: hoping it doesn't eed work need
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that i can think of oh - it's an open box and is damaged - dented
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

So unfortunately the microwave just doesn't think that the door is closing which is why it's telling you to open and close the door. There are 3 door switches and if 1 or 2 of the switches trigger but not the 3rd one, then it will give you this message. Possibly if the unit was dropped it is out of alignment, but the unit should have a functional 1 year warranty even if it is an opened box (unless otherwise stated by the store at the time of purchase). So, I would either return the microwave or call warranty because either something isn't aligned properly or one of the switches came faulty from the factory.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i'm looking to use the microwave tonight. there's nothing i can do?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the panel next to the door is not aligned and is loose
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do you have a warranty phone number? do i call BEst Buy or Samsung?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

That could possibly explain why the switch isn't being pressed properly when the door is shut. You can remove the entire outer shell and try to straighten and tighten everything up, but other than that it would really require new parts.

As for warranty, you would call Samsung. Best Buy can tell you who is authorized in your area. Samsung's number is *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if I remove the outer cover, what do I look for as far as the sensors? what do they look like?
Sorry, but how much will this cost me? If I can't fix it I feel like I wasted more money. Is it $5 or $23?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

The question is $28 ($5 for the good faith deposit and the remaining once I sent you the answer). Unfortunately we can't control whether or not you can fix the problem or not. You are paying for our time, it's New Years and I assure you I have other things I could be doing for free.

If you take your microwave apart, you'll void your warranty so I wouldn't be taking it apart unless it's definitely out of warranty due to it being an out of box appliance or something like that.