Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

Washer model WTW4800XQ Lid lock light flashing. Water fills

Customer Question

Washer model WTW4800XQ Lid lock light flashing. Water fills but light won't stop flashing & will not wash
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Whirlpool
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Can I
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: what happened to make it do this was bouhgt in 2014
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

To determine the failure we need to get into diagnostics. This can be a bit challenging but is you are willing it may save ou a service call. Here is a link to a video that is very helpful and the text is below. Let me know what code you get.

Diagnostic video link

ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off).

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob.

NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one or more clicks to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one click and wait ½ second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click.

 Successful activation of Diagnostic Test Modes will be indicated by all status LEDs (except for Lid Locked) flashing ON and OFF in half-second intervals.

NOTE: LED names may vary between makes and models.

When all LEDs are flashing, turn the knob until the “Done” light comes on.

Press the start button.

Turn the knob clockwise one click and observe if any LEDs flash in sequence.

If the Sensing, Prewash, and/or Soak LEDs are ON, the Fault Number is *****; if OFF, the Error Number is ***** The remaining LEDs (Wash, Rinse, Spin, and Done) represent the fault and error code in binary.

The code is read by reading what LEDs are on with the Sensing LED, (This is the fault) and then what LEDs are on when it goes out, (This is the error).

Watch the alternating codes and let me know what lights, if any are on when the Sensing LED is on and then what lights come on when it goes off.

After you read the first code if you turn the knob one click at a time clockwise it will display the next code if any are present.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I unplugged the washer & waited for a few seconds so the computer could reset itself. The light was off when plugged back in. Is now filling with water hope that is the end of this. My electronic skills finally check in. Sorry Dave . Didn't use what you recommended. Happy New Year. Will keep the information for later use if needed.

Great! Keep this information because there is a fair possibility that it will happen again. Happy New Year!