Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Kenmore Coldspot refrigerator Model 106.44324400 works

Customer Question

My Kenmore Coldspot refrigerator Model 106.44324400 works perfectly, but it sounds as if it is running full time. It never shuts off completely. Is it normal to hear a slight humming sound like a fan all the time? Thank you.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Mfg date 2005. Model # 106.44324400.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

So the unit shouldn't running constantly but if it is and things aren't freezing, then either you have a defrost issue or a freon leak or the coils below the refrigerator are packed with dust and need to be cleaned. Remove the lower front vent panel and if it's packed with dust and lint, clean it out so the compressor can run efficiently. Other than that if you still have issues you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? If the coils are packed with frost then the unit isn't defrosting properly. If you have some frost on top but not on bottom or vice versa, you have a freon leak. If the coils are lightly frosted from top to bottom, then the unit is working as intended.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.