Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE XL44 broiler and oven stopped working after doing a

Customer Question

my GE XL44 broiler and oven stopped working after doing a two hour clean. clock works and stove top works. I replaced one igniter and nothing. what do I do? help
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: jgbp35gep2wg. not sure how old it is.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I know tools well but not an electrician at all
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

So there are no thermal cut outs or fuses that would stop the oven from heating. First, try to run self clean again and see if it heats. If so, your door latch isn't registering as open anymore so try to cancel the self clean and if it still won't heat you need to replace the latch.

Now other than that, if both bake and broil are not heating, either you have a bad oven gas safety valve or a bad control board. You'd need to test power down at the bake igniter when you turn the oven to bake. If you test each wire to ground, one of them should have 110 volts. If not, then you have a bad control board. If you do have 110 volts to ground but you don't have 110 volts between the 2 wires going to the igniter, you have a bad oven gas safety valve cutting out the neutral. Lastly, if you happen to have 110 volts between the 2 wires going to the igniter but the burner isn't turning on, you just have a bad igniter which is probably not likely since you said you just replaced it.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.