Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Kitchenaide Oven glass blew up and shttered last night

Customer Question

My Kitchenaide Oven glass blew up and shttered last night during 30 minutes "self cleaning." MOD KEBS107SSS02
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: This townhome was built in 2007-- i purchased from owner 2.5 years ago. I belive she bought all appliances in 2009 believe sorry for typos
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: NO! I was about to complete order for new oven on Best Buy-- but thought i would reach out to your website first
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I live in Cumming, GA 30041 zip code.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

So unfortunately during self clean the oven gets very hot and sometimes the metal will warp just enough that if there is dirt or sand or something that worked it's way between the glass and the frame of the door, it will create enough pin point pressure that the glass will shatter. It's definitely a shock when it occurs, but it can occur on any oven and the glass would just need to be replaced and the door cleaned well to remove any sand or shards of glass that could compromise the new glass in the future. You really don't need to replace the entire appliance, and if you had a technician replace the glass it would cost about $200-230 or so with parts, trip, and labor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.