Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

THE DOOR Latch on my GE profile microwave is broken, will

Customer Question

THE DOOR Latch on my GE profile microwave is broken, will not run.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model PVM1790SR1SS Serial DV301058K Date of man. Feb 2011
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Is it not latching correctly or is the door latching okay but the switches are just not recognizing that?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not latching correctly,feels like spring is disconnected
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Okay, so the latches on the door do not appear to have downward pressure on them?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Okay, so that is an inexpensive repair but one that requires some disassembly. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

In the diagram at the link below, it shows how the door comes apart. The part that is on the far right of that drawing is called the choke. It is held in place my many plastic pressure tabs and needs to be pried off to access the 1006 latch and the 1007 spring. However, that choke is difficult to get off and usually will break. So, don't beat yourself up if it does, they are all plastic and a nightmare to get off in one piece! Start on the top, latch side, and gently pry with a small flat screwdriver all the way around the door until it comes off. They usually break on the top at the hinge side, so pay close attention there. Once it is off, you will have access to pull the outer door cover free to access the latch for replacement.

CLICK HERE

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Now, if you break that choke, notice there is no number for it on that diagram. The entire door will need to be replaced in that case.

Please know that I am compensated by the site only after you offer a rating at the top of the page. It is my goal to provide 5 star service!

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the tabs are stainless, but I can see they might break early
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
easy
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

On the interior plastic choke? I have not seen one with metal tabs before. You may not have an y issue getting them off then, that would be GREAT! :-)

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

The part you need to pry off is shown in the picture at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
5 top tabs, 5 bottom tab 2 end tabs are straight out inner door is as tight to outer SS as ever
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Can you get a putty knife between the door panels to get that choke off?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A lot of glue holds the two pieces together. If I force it apart the SS will be all bent up.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Bummer, sounds like the door will need to be replaced then.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not see how to get door off.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

I believe you open to 90* and lift off the hinges. Let me know if that does not work.

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

See the attached pages.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the door popped right off. But I can buy a whole new micro for a few $ more than new door. This will be the fourth new micro in not that many years. Just because they are impossible to fix. Grrr Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Yeah, I was in the same boat with my Maytag microhood. The handle got broken and the door was $180 wholesale! Sure not like they used to be.....