John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Kitchenaid glasstop convection oven and the oven

Customer Question

I have a Kitchenaid glasstop convection oven and the oven does not seem to be working now and I believe that the problem is that it thinks that the door is open as the light stays on even when it appears the door is closed. I attempted to use the self-cleaning function and it will not start and reads "Close Door" but when I do it still won't start and it seems as if the locking mechanism is in what would be the locked position if the door was actually locked for cleaning so I think I need to know how to get the door out of the locked position so that the oven will work again.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I don't have the model # handy as it is at my rental property but I think we purchased it in 2005 or 2006
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I was hoping it was something fairly simple as no new part should be required
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no that about sums up the situation. I have tried turning off the power and turning back on but I can't seem to get the locking mechanism to reset to the unlocked position which I feel will allow the oven to function normally
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 5 months ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

Open the oven door the model /serial tag should be on the oven face frame