Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My gas oven won't light cosistently. temperature reading

Customer Question

my gas oven won't light cosistently. temperature reading just says 'lo heat' and then I smell gas.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

This model has a very complex system with a DSI board (direct spark ignition board) which reads the gas valve coils and checks the resistance to make sure everything is good with the valve.

Since the oven does seem to work intermittently, the first thing you want to do is remove the floor inside the oven and locate the spark tip. You may need to heat up the tip and bend it just slightly (careful not to crack the ceramic) so that the tip sparks just above one of the gas holes and is about 1/8" away from the burner at the tip. Over time the heat from the burner can cause the tip to warp a little and not be aligned properly so that when the metal heats up, it's no longer touching one of the flames coming from the burner which will tell the gas valve to stop sending gas for safety reasons.

Now if the spark tip has been correctly aligned and you still have problems, you have an issue with the gas valve or the DSI board. This board also serves other functions like sending out the actual spark to light all the burners as well as cuts out the gas if it doesn’t detect the flame has ignited. There are 3 terminals on the gas valve so you need to check the resistance from the top terminal to the middle terminal, and the middle terminal to the bottom terminal. The gas valve is located below the oven so remove the bottom drawer to see the valve against the back framing below the oven. You should get a reading of approximately 200 ohms. If you don’t get a reading within 10% of that number, you need to replace the valve because even though only one coil may be bad, the DSI board will stop all oven function as soon as it detects there is a problem with one of the coils.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
but if the burners are working, then its probably not the gas valve or the DSI board right?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

no, unfortunately they are are completely different circuits with these devices so they can affect the oven and not affect the cooktop burners.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do have more questions, but my daughter just woke up from her nap.
I'll be back
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

OK I'll be leaving shortly for the day to run service calls soon so hopefully you're back soon, otherwise the information I gave you should be everything you need to determine what needs to be done.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks so much!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

not a problem at all.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?