Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I cannot remove the cap on the lower arm of my maytag. It is

Customer Question

I cannot remove the cap on the lower arm of my maytag. It is likely stuck from calcification. Any suggestions?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: model PDB3600AWX likely more than 5 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: we have high calcium water I have never cleaned the filter, trying to locate it, and both arms probably need to be cleaned
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

So first, you can try to run a cycle with a product called Dishwasher Magic which you can pick up at Lowes or order online and it'll clean out the dishwasher completely and remove calcium and whatnot. Other than that, the cap on the lower arm has a very thin lip so it's hard to remove even when there isn't calcium build up. I use Channel Locks and turn them horizontal to grab all the way around the 2 1/2" nut and turn it counter clockwise to unscrew the nut to remove it.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What do I do?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

I'm not sure what you mean. I thought I just explained? Here is what I said.

QUOTE:

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am at the discharge pump housing and I cannot lift it off.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Below is a video that shows you how to take the entire pump apart to get to the filter. Things won't come off as easy as in the video because they are corroded but that is the process so again you need to run a cycle with Dishwasher Magic first to remove the calcium to make this process easier.

CLICK HERE for video

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?