Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Wcvh6800j2ms Unit works fine with no clothes inside when

Customer Question

Wcvh6800j2ms
Unit works fine with no clothes inside when tested.
When a load is in. The time will start at 45-50 and then jump down to 15 in a few minutes. Very odd. Any clue?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Inside the dryer are two metal strips that sense the moisture in the clothes. The clothing passes over the strips and create an electrical path with the moisture in them. The metal strips sense the resistance in that electrical path and send that resistance reading to the control. The control then reads the resistance reading, interprets the resistance and from that reading determines how long the dryer needs to run. The less moisture in the clothing, the higher the resistance. The problem is that over time, detergent and softener residue builds up on the metal sensor strips and creates an insulating barrier between the strips and the clothing. Since the strips cannot sense the moisture in the clothing because of this barrier, it sends a high resistance reading to the control. The control then interprets that to mean that the clothes are dry and shuts off prematurely. You will need to clean those strips with a Scotch Brite pad, steel wool, sand paper or other abrasive to remove that barrier. Let me know what happens!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sir...this is a washer. Please help thx
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Sorry, for some reason the model link I brought up showed a dryer. I apologize for the nonsense initial reply.

Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 5 months ago.

I see the last person has opted out of your question!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Does this jumping down to 15 minutes happen no matter what cycle or option you have selected?

or doe it just do it on one specific cycle?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Usually during the normal cycle

Ok BUT I need to know does it ONLY happen on the normal cycle or other cycle also?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Usually happens only during the normal cycles it's it's happen on other cycles as well

ok so it does happen on other cycles besides Just Normal.

thank you!

Give me a minute or two to pull up information on this model

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thx

does your model have a MY Cycle setting?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is for a customer... not quite sure.

Ok I was asking to see if maybe the cycle selector/ control board has a stuck keypad for my cycle and that it why it wants to revert to the 15 minute cycle.

If that is not the case ,then I have to suspect that it is the main control software, either way if the my cycle selection is stuck or if it is just a software issue the main control board will need to be replaced.

But before you order anything let` call the customer have them unplug the unit for more then 5 minutes to hopefully reboot the control board if that does not fix the glitch the control board will need to be replaced.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/WH12X10468/1606332?rcaid=1000070

If you have any questions just reply back to me .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We replaced this already this is why I'm stumped.

ok that would have been good info to give me.

Have you replaced any other parts?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No sir. Just the board

Ok and it was the main control board behind the console and not the inverter board under the tub correct?

And when it jumps to the 15 minutes what is it doing at that time? draining spinning?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Correct the main control board behind the console was replaced not the board behind the tub.Yes it drains and the rinse is present again and then the same again over an over again. No clothes inside everything runs right through nice n smooth

ok and when it is draining after going back to the 15 in the display the unit has NO water in it correct?

Trying to see if it has water in it but it is not being drained by the pump.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No water In it

Ok Then if it is not a glitch in the control board software ,and you have replaced the control board .

I have to suspect that the water level pressure switch is telling the control board that the washer still has water in the tub when in fact it does not have any water.

Have you ever run a washer cleaner thru the unit?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have not... I was thinking this as well. Going to give it a shot
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But if it's the pressure switch why would it go into wash after filling. Then wash.

You said it would turn on start at 45-50 then jump down to 15 and the drain pump would go on .

You have NOT said anything about it filling nor going into a wash mode!.

Or did you actually mean why would it NOT not fill then go into a wash?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The machine fills and agitates then it goes from 45 min to 15 min within a few minutes. It drains. Then refills and then drains and refills and never stops

ok great info ,that would have been great to have on your first post. ((Then refills and then drains and refills and never stops)))

But we got it now.

You have a pressure switch issue what TYPE of detergent do you use? HE or non HE

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure what the customer uses. What do you suggest?

All brand of front loaders need to have HE type detergent . the HE is a low sudsing detergent .

And if they do not use HE it will create excess detergent build up and could create the issue of the pressure switch thinking it has water in it and then the pressure switch telling the control to try to drain it out.

I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I rechecked the machine myself yesterday. On normal cycle with clothes inside it stops with about 15 min left and then it just stops. Nothing happens and time doesn't go down at all. Don't know what my tech was talking about, so frustrating, wish I could cut myself in half. But I cant

OH Gus I know the feeling!!!

now when it stopped at the 15 min. had it run as normal thru the time down to that 15 min?

Or did it jump from a higher time display to the 15 min?

And when it stops at the 15 min area what was the washer doing (which mode) Ie agitation ,drain ,spin?

And when you say it just stops !!Does the display still show as the machine is powered? (lights , and time on the display )

And I`m at school this week , my students have final this week so I will be on and off the computer ,but will be checking it every hour or so !

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I went back again today because the customer told me something weird was happening.
Normal setting
Clothes inside
15 min left. Water comes in for rinse. Water stops and drains immediately and then it just stays put. Does nothing else at all. Very odd. Didn't do this before. I tested normal 3 times today. Stayed for 2.5 hrs. This is driving me nuts.

When it stopped and drained then just stays put is the display still lite as if it is powered ? .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Indeed it is. Minutes still up and all

I too am running out of ideas .

Have you tested the outlet to verify that it is properly polarized and grounded?

If not let`s check that .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's got to be. Machine wouldn't run if it wasn't. Looking more n more like a refund for this customer. Rough biz we're in. Where's ur company located?

Oh If an out let is not properly polarized correctly it will run ,because it is A/C current.

But an electronic control board requires L1 as L1 and Neutral as Neutral and it also requires a proper ground.

If an out let is not properly polarized and grounded it is not an issue of will it take out an electronic control board JUST when will it take the control board out .

And of course even touching an electronic control board before you the service person grounds your self to dissipate static electricity out of your body can /will damage an electronic control board also!!