Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a 14 year old Viking refrigerator with a bottom

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old Viking refrigerator with a bottom freezer, model VCR4050203328. The freon line has leaked out and the unit is not cooling at all. The company I've used to maintain the unit says that cost to repair is $1,302.19. The technician said the compressor is seemingly fine. Should I repair the unit, given it's age or replace it with another less expansive brand that would cost about the same as the repair. Would appreciate your advice. Thanks. Donald
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Viking is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 14 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: model # is VCR4050203328
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: yes, the unit fits into a custom cabinet that was built to specially accommodate that size
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 4 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

I would advise replacing the unit based on the age and series. That will likley give you nothing but issues long term, the compressor will go next and then a board or fan etc.. it will nickel and dime you. Just invest in a new unit.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated....HAPPY HOLIDAYS!