Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

Pearl, This Thanksgiving. Just got on the scene. My friend's

Hi, Pearl,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: This Thanksgiving. Just got on the scene. My friend's 18 year old ED22RF is heating up and my friend lost valuable food just before Thanksgiving. I sense the defrost timer is out of whack. How do I access those controls and test my hypothesis?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Would prefer to given we barely live on what retirement income we have.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Would like to keep our costs as low as possible.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ED22RFXFN00 made in 1988. Unscrewed the panel atop the right door, including the 2 brass hexagonals and the 2 short and 2 long screws, and removed the 2 knobs, but cannot seem to loosen it further.Compressor warm, fan working, but fridge/freezer NOT cooling.What to replace, adjust or fix?

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Thje timer can either cause the freezer to frost up inside in the back while the fans continue to run or to keep the refrigerator completely off. If either of these are what is happening you can advance the timer manually. Under the control area in the refrig on the right side is a small hole. Use a large screwdriver to turn that slot. If the refrig is not running and it staerts when you turn it is a bad timer. If the freezer is frosted, turn it slowly until it clicks and the refrig shuts off and wait to see if the freezer starts to defrost the frost but it will restart in 20 minutes and you will need to do this several times. Let me know what happens.

Looks like there was a duplicate equest made. We can have that one closed when we are finished with this one.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
See previous positive rating.