Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My maytag centennial mvwc400xw4 started making this

Customer Question

my maytag centennial mvwc400xw4 started making this grinding, winding like noise when spinning and then it would stop and close really wet. Now it makes the same noise even if you start it, like a quick winding, drilling noise and stops immediately
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: around 2013..
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: not sure. I have read online that the bearings is major repair, but thinking it could pulley related
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It was working fine motor wise until spin cycle, it would make the winding like really fast drill and would turn off and close semi wet than usual. Now it makes that noise as soon as you hit start, like the tub spent real fast with the grind/drill/zip noise and stops automatically.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 11 days ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

Tip the unit up against the wall and check for any signs of brownish liquid splattered anywhere around the pulleys or cabinet. If you see that the bearing on the transmission case is shot, due to a main tub seal failure. That is a very common issue. Let me know what you find.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated....HAPPY HOLIDAYS!