John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Top dryer has no heat, Maytag MCE8000AYQ - 9? yes, No

Customer Question

top dryer has no heat
JA: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Maytag MCE8000AYQ - 9?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 6 days ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Does it run just not heat?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It has a top dryer to dry clothes on hangers or flat on racks. That part does not heat now. Bottom conventional dryer works.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
still there?

Yes I am still here.

Is the blower running for the upper cabinet?

If not you will have to check it, you will need the service manual to do this as it is hard to explain.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Blower works. No heat.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have manual. Schematics. Probably the thermostat or thermister. elements no longer available. Any tricks to get to them?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am done. Will try another method. Answer not provided. Do not charge me more than $5.00.

I am sorry for the delay something happened to your posts, Does it heat in the lower cabinet?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.

OK if that heats you are down to a blower issue most likely there is a blower that runs heat to the top cabinet, the bad issue is parts are really scarce for it. You can restring the element with a restring kit if that goes bad, but the blower is not available. Is it something you really use a lot?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks. I no longer need your help.