Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool gas dryer that will not turn gas on after

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I have a Whirlpool gas dryer that will not turn gas on after about 2-5 cycles into drying.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: about a week WGD9200SQ0 I tested all sensors and they are in spec with exception of 2nd gas coil is 1285ohms vs 1220+-50ohms.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The igniter glows orange hot in sequence but the gas doesn't come on after 2-5 cycles of flame working. Very odd.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 days ago.

The gas coils are the only thing that will cause your problem here and unfortunately the gas coils just need to be replaced. What happens is the resistance of the coils starts to change when they warm up as they get weak, then they won't open the gas valve anymore. Just replace the coils and you'll be good to go again. The part number is ***** and it comes with both coils and only costs about $15.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.