Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a Kenmore dryer and it was running fine then there

Customer Question

Hi, we have a Kenmore dryer and it was running fine then there was a burning smell and it stopped running. It would not go back on. i got frustrated and went to bed. This morning it would turn on but the drum did not move. I manually moved the drum and heard a loud clunk. The drum will move clock wise and counter clockwise manually.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I will have to run down stairs to get the model#
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Do you have a model number located on a sticker just inside the door way so I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Model#110.71202012
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do not wish to call thank you
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

OK perfect. So it sounds like either the belt broke, the tensioner pulley fell off, or the motor is failing. You'll need to take the dryer apart and just inspect to see what you see. If the belt is broken then replace it. If the tensioner pulley is worn out then replace it. Other than that if the motor isn't spinning smoothly, replace it. Below is a video that shows you how to access the inside the of the dryer.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you Tyler please wish me luck
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

I certainly do wish you luck. If you need anything else though just let me know.