Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

The start button on my mother's Whirlpool ovens, JTP48 has

Customer Question

The start button on my mother's Whirlpool ovens, JTP48 has stopped working and I can't get oven to work. all the other buttons work. Already cut power for a few minutes, but that did not reset. Afraid I pushed a wrong button or something. would appreciate your help
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: at least ten years old and has been reconditioned about two years ago. The model is JTP28
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No way if there is anything more involved than pressing buttons or checking out a few wires. couldn't even get top off to see if start button moved
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Oven and broiler worked fine on day. Next morning I am going to broil and the start button doesn't make a noise. My mother has some vision prob;ems and I may have pushed a wrong button.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

So unfortunately if all the other buttons work and the start button just won't work, it means the start button on your display board failed. This is not something you can just reset. The entire display board would need to be replaced to resolve this issue. The part is no longer made so you'd need to send the board into a place like Appliancetimers.com to have the board refurbished for about $150 or so normally in order to get the oven working again if you wanted to repair it and not just replace the unit.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.