Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a dishwasher model #MDBH995WW. Serial #42907074NL. My

Customer Question

I have a dishwasher model #MDBH995WW. Serial #42907074NL. My problem is the latch assembly will not allow us to open the washer once is has completed its cycle. advise?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?
Customer: model and serial has been given - please respond
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Not sure - do not have tool to remove cover.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have greased the latch assembly and put graphite into the switch area.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

So unfortunately this is quite a big problem on these units and the problem is that the plastic handle has broken and isn't triggering the latch assembly properly. The only thing you can do is force the door open to first the latch open. If you take a flat head screwdriver and slide it in from above the door behind the latch on the right and left side and pry with 2 flat head screwdrivers, you can pop the door open. It requires about 70 pounds of force to do this. Once the latch pops open, then you can open the door, remove the screws around the border of the inner door liner and replace the latch assembly. Below is a link to the latch assembly you'd need to order for your model. It's made by Whirlpool because Whirlpool owns Maytag now.

CLICK HERE for latch assembly

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.