Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

GE range, Model#968sp3ss, serial ga246113Q. yesterday while

Customer Question

GE range, Model#968sp3ss, serial ga246113Q. yesterday while using the right front stove top burner we experienced a popping sound with sparks coming from under the stove top. today right back burner does not work. other burners work, as does oven. Can we use the range until the damaged burner is repaired which could be a couple of days. My concern is that we saw sparks. Thank you for your reply and advice.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: We purchased the range in May, 2013. The model# ***** I have is PS968SP3SS.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: NO. We have a service contract.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so. It could be a few days before service gets here. Can we use the range in the meantime?
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 days ago.

So you can use the burner until the damaged burner is repaired, that is not a problem, but either your switch for the right back burner shorted out, or the right back burner itself shorted out so you won't be able to use that burner in the mean time. Just don't use that back burner in particular and you can use all other functions and be fine. There is no safety issue since everything is enclosed in sheet metal safety boxes to ensure nothing dangerous can occur like catching your house on fire, etc...

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.