Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a ge pvm1790dr1ww microwave. during thanksgiving we

Customer Question

i have a ge pvm1790dr1ww microwave. during thanksgiving we were using the convection oven function preheating to 450 degrees. It took a half hour to heat up and then it beeped and the display went blank out. It has power to the outlet and i checked the fuse above and behind the control panel where the power cord comes in and it shows good with ohmmeter. i found a previous answer regarding a similar problem that you posted some schematics for, but they appear to be from 2011 and dont match. I cant find the MGT THERMO ASM 1434 WB21X10054 referenced in that answer, but that seems a reasonable next step as it was on high heat convection, and then completely quit.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 13 days ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

There is that one and 3 others you need to check. You need to take the outer shroud off likely to get at all of them though.

CLICK HERE

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated....HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I did have the outer shroud off, i couldnt find that 1434 referenced in the earlier answer. The others with the orange arrows look familiar, although I dont have the shroud off any longer. However, I dont know how to check them or where the capacitor charged with high voltage is or how to safely discharge it.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I will check tomorrow evening for your reply after I have taken the shroud back off. The mfg date is June 2013, serial # LA302787K.

The thermal disc should be on the magentron tube or right on the air duct off the tube. You need to jumper out the capacitor with an insulated needlenose pliers or an insulated wire.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Please send the schematics that are correct for my model and year of microwave. As I said, I dont know the location of the capacitor or the thermocouple.

The diagram I sent was for your exact model