John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My pellet stove auger is jammed. I've cleaned all pellets

Customer Question

my pellet stove auger is jammed. I've cleaned all pellets out of the hopper, removed the plate to the auger (inside the hopper, but it still won't turn. I've read online that you may need to remove the auger, but I can't find a video on my Breckwell Big E. Help please,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: just today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes. i love 100 miles from any repair shops, so can't take it to them, and I'm not sure if they would even come this far to repair. Also, I'm retired and have limited income. I probably couldn't afford the service call.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I'm not sure. I've removed the back and right side panel and can see where the end of the auger is attached to the auger motor. I think there is a cotter pin holding the auger in place, but I'm not sure that is what the cotter pin is for. It's not easy to remove, and I'm not sure I could replace it.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 days ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 12 days ago.

Are you certain the auger motor is getting power?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 days ago.

The cotter pin holds the auger shaft to the motor. Can you get it out?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I think so. Give me a few minutes and I'll respond again.
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 days ago.

Thank you.

Remove the auger motor by removing the auger pin. Remove the auger shaft inspection plate in the hopper so that you can see the auger shaft. Gently lift the auger shaft straight up so that the end of the auger shaft comes up out of the bottom auger bushing. Next, remove the two nuts that hold the top auger biscuit in. Then rotate the bottom end of the auger shaft up towards you until you can lift the shaft out of the stove. After you have removed the shaft, inspect it for bent flights, burrs, or broken welds. Remove any foreign material that might have caused the jam. Also, check the auger tube for signs of damage such as burrs, rough spots

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
ok. I'm having a difficult time removing the pin. Just need to get better access, so I'll disconnect the outlet pipe. If I have further questions, how can I contact you?
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 days ago.

Just reply right back here. I will be taking a break for a while but will reply when I return.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
ok, sounds good.
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 days ago.

If you log out of the site, just follow a link from your email, it will bring you right back. Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
ok, I got the auger motor off. Now I need to know how to get the auger out of the shaft.
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 days ago.

Did you follow the instructions above to remove the auger from the shaft?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thank you. I'm signing off for tonight.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I removed the auger motor, but can't get the auger out. Can you be more specific about getting it out? I've removed the plate you mentioned in the hopper, but the auger doesn't come out.
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 days ago.

The video at the link below is a good video showing how it comes out. That is not the exact model you have but it is the same action required.

CLICK HERE