Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

My refrigerator line is icing over. Everything is running.

Customer Question

My refrigerator line is icing over. Everything is running. Nothing is cold.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 12 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. What exactly do you mean by the line is icing? Are you referring to the water lines? Or the condenser coils? Is the defrost heater not working? What is the model number of your fridge?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
attached is a photo of the iced line.
back ground information... The fridge appeared to not be cooling well. took off the access panel initially saw the condenser was dirty (cleaned it out). I turned the condenser fan was powered but mechanically not moving (replaced that). Other info is the evaporator fan spins freely and will power up. the evaporator itself is room temperature. when the compressor is running.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 12 days ago.

hello , if the compressor and fan are both running and you have a frosted refrigeration line then you have a sealed system issue , a gas leak ,inefficient compressor ,or restriction , it needs to have guages put on it and see what the pressures are ..it reqs special refrigeration equipment to do this diagnosis ,check you warranty anything to do with the sealed system is sometimes covered for a longer period than the standard 1 yr warranty thx Randy

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The restriction is approximately 6 inches away from the drier to include multiple 90° turns. I am confused on how the cap tube has a block so close to the receiver drier.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Yet after all these bends
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 12 days ago.

yes it is strange , i agree but if the flow of gas is stopped that is why it isnt cooling , probably needs to be cut open ,flushed with nitrogen and a new drier welded in

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 12 days ago.

definately a system issue , doyou do that kind of work?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Automotive, and large refrigeration less of the in home stuff. Never seen it so close
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 12 days ago.

probably not to different , putting gauges on the low side will tell if it has a restriction or leak ..if lowside gauge stays pinned or high back pressure