Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Hotpoint FFA52 Upright Fridge Freezer about 4.5 y old. Came

Hotpoint FFA52 Upright Fridge Freezer about 4.5 y old. Came home and found it had stopped. Compressor not running. Unloading frozen food to save it, compressor started up and began to cool it down again, but has now stopped again. When running it works. Anything I can do or does it need an serviceman ?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Its an Iced Diamond FFA 52, about 4.5 yrs old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can.... Im pretty hand at fixit jobs, but not too familiar with freezers.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I had turned the fridge t/stat up an down but without response, however when it restarted I turned the Tstat down then up to reset it to correct level, and it stopped altogether again. That shouldnt affect the freezer though?

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

When the compressor is off can you check if there is power to it still, either the compressor relay is bad or the temperature controller is defective. If the compressor stops and there is no voltage to it then replace the temperature control on the unit.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated....HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK, will try that, but not until tomorrow as I have to go now. Thanks

Ok no problem

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Awaiting new control panel.Delivery promised tomorrow. Suppliers agree is likely cause of problem.

Great

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving thanks!