Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

After approx. 10 minutes of operation the circuit breaker

after approx. 10 minutes of operation the circuit breaker for my dryer clicks off. the dryer runs and gives heat. I have checked the heating element and the safety switches for the element with a multimeter and they seem to be ok. The breaker panel is new and the current to the dryer seems ok (checked with multimeter). What is causing the breaker to click off?
JA: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Whirlpool WED9150WW1 - approx. 2-3 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, unless it's beyond my knowledge
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: This is the first problem - The vents and hose and screen are clean

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If the unit doesn't trip the breaker until after 10 minutes, most likely the breaker is just weak and tripping after it's had power pulling through it for awhile heating up the breaker. I'm not sure how new your breaker is, but if it hasn't been replaced since this issue started, replace it. Other than that if you're clamping one of the wires and it's never drawing more than 30 amps but the breaker trips, you just have a bad wire going through the house or something along those lines because a breaker should never trip unless the dryer draws more than 30 amps and if the dryer was doing that it would trip right away.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The breaker is new. What do you mean by "clamping one of the wires' - which wires?

one of the power wires to the dryer and you need an amp clamp to test the wires. I'm not sure how you stated that you tested with a multimeter if you don't have an amp clamp... there is no valid test other than clamping a wire to know the amp draw since amperage is what trips a breaker.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tested the usual causes: heating element, and safety switches at heating element - they all indicated connectivity

OK well unfortunately that is never going to help with an intermittent problem. Unless it's constant and occurring at all times then you can't get any useful information testing it that way. You'd need an amp clamp to clamp one of the wires coming from the dryer to see if it's drawing over 30 amps when the breaker trips or not. If it's not, then you have a weak breaker.