Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

The water valve stayed open and water was flowing out of the

Customer Question

The water valve stayed open and water was flowing out of the ice maker for over a minute. Fortunately I was home, and I shut off the water supply to the refrigerator. After about 30 minutes, I unplugged the Fridge, and I open the water valve, and the water valve in the fridge was shut off. I plugged the fridge back in, and everything seems to be working properly again. I'm concerned that it might overflow when I'm not home, should I replace anything?
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: Maytag RSW2400E its about 19 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: sure, I've done all the work myself on it do date
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nothing else
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

So this definitely could happen again so you will need to replace the valve on the back of the refrigerator. The valve can stick open when it cycles for the icemaker and flood and next time it could be worse so below is a link to the valve you want to order and replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for valve

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have copper going to the inlet side, will it connect directly to the valve
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

Yes, that copper water supply line connects directly to the valve below the refrigerator back by the compressor area.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
do I need anything else besides the valve. It looks fairly straight forward, are there any tricks that I should be aware of?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

No, there should be nothing else needed. Just turn the water off and unplug the refrigerator before replacing the part. Don't mix up which water line goes where.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Should I shut off the water supply when I'm gone from the house for now, or can I get away with opening up the Ice gate inside the freezer to shut off ice production.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

I would shut the water supply off to the refrigerator at your house until you fix this issue. Also raise the arm so that it doesn't try to cycle without any water.