John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Sharp R 1481 over the range microwave. It is

Customer Question

I have a Sharp R 1481 over the range microwave. It is mounted in a motorhome. I have the bottom removed and have exposed 2 long bolts that hold it in place. It will not move and I can not find any other mounting screws to remove to release it to get it out of the space it is mounted in
JA: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Sharp R 1481 and the motor home is a 2000, so over 16 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have exposed the top and there are no screws visible and I do not see any from the sides either
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 days ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 days ago.

Typically, there should be bolts in the top cabinet that go down to hold the microwave in place. Nothing on top?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The top is the top of a slide out, it has to be water tight when it is extended. I can not see any bolts or screws on top. I found the installation instructions that came with it and it shows 2 screws from the top, again, which are not visible
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 days ago.

Oftentimes, in an RV, trim and cover shelving are installed after the microwave. I have even seen holes drilled in through the sides to mount and then cabinets mounted.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have had 3 different people look so I am not missing something. Is there a way to get the guts of the microwave out so to maybe get at screws that go through the can into the top or side?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
This is probably going to involve a trip to the RV shop
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 days ago.

The only way is to remove trim and cabinetry until you expose the bolts. Trust me, it can get ugly. Most appliance techs refuse to work on anything in an RV until it is removed for this very reason. I have seen $500,000 coaches with no way to service an appliance without a day's worth of cabintery removal.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
This all started because a lightbulb for the interior burned out...I will call the RV shop tomorrow. Let us just end this
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Are we done?
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 days ago.

It sounds it will need to be taken in unless you want to perform lots of disassembly.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 days ago.

If you feel I have earned any compensation for my time and expertise, I can send that option. Otherwise, I can close this for you.